Re: Apisto sp. "Lazer blue" ???

Christine,

I agree with Big John, the fish with the Gold Gourami does appear to be A.
sp. Blaukopf/Blue-head/Blue/New Blue/Steel Blue (what's in a name???). It
obviously is not A. borellii since it has rows of spots on the tail. Borellii
have unspotted tails. They were all males in the store. This is "normal" for
this fish. The Japanese claim it is a cross between a resticulosa-complex & a
caetei-complex species. The Czechs started breeding their Asian males with
caetei-complex females to sell in their operations. They are definitely NOT
wild caught. If you want to breed them I'd suggest finding a nice caetei
female to bring out the tail pattern or a resticulosa female to bring out the
blue. I think it's a pretty fish, like a Red Swordtail or Platy, but it's
just a viable hybrid - not a valid species.

Sigh, another "new" fish to add to the list  {: - (

Mike Wise