netting fish woes

Hi all,
I am looking for some good advice here.  Over the past year I have planted all my tanks and they are all quite beautiful now as well as being very healthy for my fish.  But I have found one drawback.  How do you net your fish without destroying the plants?

I need to move some nanacara from one tank to another.  They are quite shy and they have a lot of hiding places.  As soon as I come near the tank they scatter for cover.  In order to observe them I need to have a seat near the tank and sit quietly long enough for them to forget I am there.

How best to trap these fish and move them to another tank?  I tried leaving a net in the tank with some food in it.  I managed to get one fish, but now the rest are wise to this trick!

Hope someone has figured out a good way of doing this.  Thanks,

Dave