Re: Newbie....think I made a mess....fish just don't know it yet....

> Sooooo you get algae! Basically you have more nutrients and light in
> there than the plants are using, so the algae is able to get a foothold
> in your tank. now i've never been very good at getting rid of algae, but
> you might want to cut back on the light a bit.

I would just turn off the lights for a couple of days (3-5).  The algae
should die off and your plants shouldn't be affected.

Continue to monitor the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels and make water
changes including siphoning the gravel as the levels get too high.  Also,
keep the airstones going you could have a potential dissolved oxygen problem
with the algae dying.

Definitely find a way of reducing the number of fish in your tank.  With a
little luck and some close monitoring of your tank you might be able to pull
through this minimal losses.

Best of luck

Dave