Disease ID & M/F compatibility

Hi all,

I recently rescued a nannacara anomala from a local LFS, got it for free
after pointing out that they were never going to sell it with the huge growth
sticking out of it's head.  Just above it's right eye is a massive white
growth, about the same size or slightly larger than, it's eye.  Anyone have
any idea what it might be?  There's only the one, it looks sort of like a
miniture cotton ball...  Any suggestions on treatment?

Also, I recently picked up a pair of nanochromis transvestitus.  They're very
interesting fish, who seemed to pretty much ignore each other in the planted
tank at the LFS.  Now that they're in there new home (10G with driftwood,
sand, moderately planted, pH of 5, one ram and three tetras), the female is
getting beat on by the male anytime she leaves a spot in the corner above one
of the pieces of driftwood.  Does anyone have any suggestions on reducing his
aggression towards her?  I was thinking of trying to track down a couple more
females to add to the tank (and removing the ram and tetras), would that help
at all?

Thanks for any advice,

Eric