Re: Ap. meinkeni / Ap. pertensis

Alan,

It's hard to say which you have without a description of them. I assume that your
checkerboards are D. filamentosus from the Rio Negro. If so they are most likely
A. pertensis. Most dwarf cichlid books have good photos of this species. Check in
one of them. A. meinkeni is a tiny, less elongate, species with males having an
asymmetrically oval tail. Most photos listed as "A. meinkeni" are actually A. sp.
aff. meinkeni, a larger & more slender species. The only published photos of the
true meinkeni that I'm aware of are those of Römer in his Atlas & Aqualog SACII
p. 50 in the 3rd row down (the 2 listed as "A. meinkeni" above them seem
different to me).

Mike Wise