Re: Apisto Predators

From: Rich Grenfell
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2001 10:38 PM

> You know... it's too bad this needs to be a "naturally
> occuring" predator.
> I used to own a fish that behaves in exactly the way you
> want, but isn't naturally occuring in apisto biotopes.
> Anyone ever heard of Oxyeleotris marmorata (aka
> Marbled Goby)?...

Oh no, not Gobies!

You'd never believe how many fish I've lost to my fascination for Gobies,
Gudgeons, Darters and the like.

Placed some Knight Gobies in with a tank full of Purple Spotted Gudgeons one
time. The normally peaceful Knights drove all but one Gudgeon out of the
tank to become carpet crunchies. _Then_, when I'm left with a single female,
I find they've been listed, and I may never see any more.

Or the four African Black Spot Gobies that, come breeding time, decided to
kill every one of the eight Peacock Gudgeons sharing the same four foot
tank. Now the male African Black Spot is a wicked looking fish, but nowhere
near as beautiful as a Peacock. And Peacock _males_ are as hard to come by
as any Apisto female in this area.

And there are many other examples.

Now, because of the Aquarium, I'm about to get into the local Darters and
Sculpins... 8-}

-Y-