Re: apisto predators

There's one thing I think you're all overlooking here--why does the
predator have to be a cichlid? Besides, cichlids are smart--efficient
predators. They might eventually start killing off to much!
In the Amazon the major predators are mainly large catfish and characins
(remember piranhas?). A pimelodid of some sort might be a possibility.
Most characins are predors. Some of the larger ones (Hoplias comes to
mind) might have no trouble eating a large Apisto. But also, many smaller
(mid-sized) tetras, beleive it or not, can be efficient fry predators...
Along with the apistos, there are some other possibilities for that
"point in the food chain." There are many small catfish (corydoras,
otocinclus) that might also make something for the adult apistos to
chase. How about some other smaller cichlids--angels, severums...?
Just some ideas!

William

P.S. I have daydreamed about a setup like that myself... if you do set it
up take pictures! We'd love to see them!

Please visit our website at
homestead.juno.com/jgarden2000/aquaria.html