profile as substrate

I was wondering if anyone has used profile soil conditioner as a substrate
in soft water tanks..I did a test and my tap water is 120ppm and and after
adding profile it rose to 500+ ppm....It said it is just kilned fuellers
earth and is inert...but it seems to leach carbonates....if anyone has used
this and has any info please let me know your results..also..if this is
going to harden my water what would be a good substrate for a softwater tank
and plants included...I heard people using black beauty...is this safe....I
do not want to get into the more expensive stuff like laterite or
simular..just something that will not alter the water and grow plants...

Thanks
  Al