Re: profile as substrate

Al,

I just started experimenting with Profile. After a not-so-scientific test
here at home, i found that it significantly raised the general hardness of
my water, but not the carbonate hardness. So fine for plants, but not
so good for most Apistos, or my new dwarf Pikes.

Flourite is really the way to go, but terribly expensive. Supposedly
there is an Aquatic Plant Soil made by Schultz, but i have only seen
it once. The aquatic plant soil is supposed to be totally inert. On the
Aquatic Plants Digest several folks have reported raised hardness
levels in tanks with the Profile Clay Soil Conditioner.

I recently set up and planted a tank with the Clay Soil Conditioner.
Our water is very soft here straight out of the tap, about 35 ppm KH
and less than 20 ppm GH. In my little test i found that the GH went
up to 180 ppm, while the KH remained stable. I'll test this newly
setup tank and see what the levels are.

later,
christine
danville, CA