Re: Apistogramma Tiger Stripe

Hi,
Normally I?d send this sort of thing privately, as Mike should have to
me, before posting to the list. However, Mike questions my research on
the ?sp. tiger stripe? hobby name, and I question his.
Had he asked, I?d have told him I had a correspondence with Ingo
Koslowski about the fish, before I wrote the article last year. While
its affinities are interesting to discuss, it is certainly not sp
Masken.

I'm aware of the photos Mike offers for his shot at IDing the fish. I've
seen quite a few of the actual fish as well. I think it's a little too
complicated to fit neatly on the synonyms list offered. This message
underscores a concern I have. I think the list project is a bit like
herding mice. How many pop names exist for each  undescribed fish, or
how many fish exist for each name? I have a likely candidate to be sp
"masken" in my basement. Its solid markings have no relation to those of
sp "tiger stripe". Then again, I wouldn?t guess at how many fish have
been exported as "masken", or which photo(s) Mike has looked at. With no
type specimens for reference, it strikes me as a lost cause.

Those who got through the list Mike offered will have noted no other
untranslated English names. They will also have noted a glaring lack of
Japanese names. The American hobby seems in love with the obscurity of
using popular German names (the sp designations in hobby literature are
just that - temporary tags on undescribed animals used so hobbyists will
be able to I.D the fish they want - when the proper work is done, these
names will get flushed). The Japanese have no such problem - they give
the new Apistos their collectors find and importers receive Japanese sp
designations and get on with it. I believe English speakers can do the
same.

-Gary Elson