Fry stealing was: live food.

You are correct, the females will raise the stolen fry as their own. If a
male decides to take the fry, however, they often get bored after a few days
and then the fry are eaten - either by the male or other tank mates.

On a side note, I have photos of 2 Rotpunkts in female brood dress jointly
guarding a batch of fry. The strange thing was that although there were 2
guards the fry would slowly disappear. The smaller "female" is now breeding
with my females. It was a "sneaker male". Was he doing this to remove the
dominant male's offspring or merely hiding from the dominant male as a female
& taking advantage of a close meal. I don't know. I'm surprised that the real
female didn't do something about this since she was larger the the sneaker
male, but she allowed him within a couple of inches or the fry and herself.
This happened with several broods before I started getting suspicious.

Mike Wise

Mike Wise