RE: plumbing the outflow of a Magnum HOT filter

I use HOT Magnums on two planted tanks, a 20L and a 29. I was concerned with
the turbulence that would be created by using the standard return tube. From
what I've read, the greater the turbulence, the higher the loss of C02; not
good in a planted tank. I had two of the filters, so I took off the intake
tube from one and used it as replacement for the outlet tube of the other.
The filter, equipped with two standard intake tubes, worked as I wished. The
water is returned to the tank at about a 6 inch depth through the strainer,
which serves as a diffuser. You can hardly tell the filter is running;
virtually no surface movement. I called Marineland with the part number for
the intake tube and ordered two. I believe they were about $3/each. Had them
in a couple days.

Works for me,

Ray

PS - I actually screwed up in ordering the intake tubes and gave them the
outlet tube part number by mistake. I called back when the wrong parts
showed up and was pleasantly surprised when they shipped out the correct
parts, 2nd. day air, no charge. Marineland - a class act in my book!