Re: How about the Apisto virus?

My first dwarf cichlids were a pair of Apistogramma ramirezi. Yep, they were
still apistos back then (mid 70s). Anyway a fellow grad student offered them to
me because the Rams would only hide in his tank. I went over to pick them up and
discovered why they were always hiding: they were in a tank full of those new
cichlids from lake Malawi (Melanochromis auratus & BB zebras as I recall). Once
they were put in a 15 gallon tank with just some tetras they became big, bold,
and sassy! They were called "Rainbow" Rams and were the most beautiful Rams I
have ever seen. The last time I saw this strain was back in the early 80s in
Sacramento. I haven't had Rams since then because I've never found any that came
close to their color and hardiness.

My first true apistos were "A. wickleri", a domestic strain of A. steindachneri.
I had males that got over 4" total length. They were more blue than present
steindachneri and easier to breed. A truly wonderful fish.

Mike Wise