Re: OT but important to aquarists

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Mike & Diane Wise wrote:

> I find this hard to believe! If true, and I assume it is, I find this a very
> disturbing thought for any internet list member. It will suppress the free
> communication of opinions that these lists are so good at. My question is,
> unless the defendants were maliciously out to destroy the plaintiff's
> reputation/business with false statements, how could one's personal opinions
> be considered defamation? I find it hard to believe that one's opinion can be
> compromised in this way. Anyway, it does make one stop and think. Fortunately
> the apisto list doesn't go into character assassination to any extent.

Unbeleivable as it seems, it is true.  And it is very disturbing.  You can
read the actual e-mail postsings made by the defendants at
http://www.actwin.com/fish/aquatic-plants  (look for May 2001 archives).

It bothers me a lot, because I have not only relied on the honest
experiences of other hobbyists, but I have also spent a great deal of
energy making these experiences (both positive and negative) available on
the web for others to read.  I had planned on archiving some of these
comments right before the suit hit.  I will be sending my check, and doing
my best to spread this information.  Hope you guys will too.

  - Erik

--
Erik Olson
erik at thekrib dot com