Re: Pelvicachromis pulcher

I have apair of kribs spawning in a ten gallon tank with no plants, just rocks and a cave.  I would think that putting any more fish in a ten gallon with a pair of kribs (even dither fish) would be too crowded.  Kribs can be shy, especially when thinking about spawning.  The female must have been too interested in the males and just "flirted" them to death. :)

  Randy Wolken <r.wolken@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

I brought home a pair of kribs (m/f) last week and they seemed to settle in pretty good. Adopted a cave I put in the tank for them (ten gallon tank). A few dither (mountain minnows) and from the start, the male stayed in the cave 95% of the time. The female was more adventurous and seemed to like the male. They slept in the cave together and fed together. This morning I found my male dead in the tank. :( Not sure why he died, he stopped eating last night and seemed to be breathing rather heavy. Checked the Ammonia and Nitrites 0 & 0. The Nitrates were 9 ppm. Medium hard water and pH @ 7.1. No other fish breathing hard. No visual damage to fins. I decided to get another male tonight and brought him home. Immediately on entering my tank, the female was on top of him. Pretty vicious looking attack and chased him into the corner behind a Giant Amazon Sword. Why was she so territorial? Is this normal behavior when introducing a new male to a female? Has she not grieved long enough for her old mate ( 1 1/2 week relationship) and not ready for the rebound guy? ;) Anyone had this happen to them before and if so, how long before she accepts a new male, if ever?

Thanks,

Randy

"Every man dies; Not every man lives."

Do You Yahoo!?
Make international calls for as low as $0.04/minute with Yahoo! Messenger.