Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2001 10:44 PM
Subject: Pelvicachromis pulcher

I brought home a pair of kribs (m/f) last week and they seemed to settle in pretty good. Adopted a cave I put in the tank for them (ten gallon tank). A few dither (mountain minnows) and from the start, the male stayed in the cave 95% of the time. The female was more adventurous and seemed to like the male. They slept in the cave together and fed together. This morning I found my male dead in the tank. :( Not sure why he died, he stopped eating last night and seemed to be breathing rather heavy. Checked the Ammonia and Nitrites 0 & 0. The Nitrates were 9 ppm. Medium hard water and pH @ 7.1. No other fish breathing hard. No visual damage to fins. I decided to get another male tonight and brought him home. Immediately on entering my tank, the female was on top of him. Pretty vicious looking attack and chased him into the corner behind a Giant Amazon Sword. Why was she so territorial? Is this normal behavior when introducing a new male to a female? Has she not grieved long enough for her old mate ( 1 1/2 week relationship) and not ready for the rebound guy? ;) Anyone had this happen to them before and if so, how long before she accepts a new male, if ever?

Thanks,

Randy