Re: sexing juvenile cacatuoides

Female Cacatuoides, as with most other female apistos will have a noticeable
amount of black in their pelvic fins, and their caudal fins are rounded
rather than lyreate. The only female Apistos I've seen with a lyreate tail
are my female Apistogramma sp. "Lyretail Panduro", and even with them it is
less pronounced than in a mature male.

As far as when they color up, I think I've had some males begin to color up
as early as three months, and they are usually coloring up by 4-5 months.
Their color continues to develop for several months.

Zack