Re: blue rams - second time lucky

John the overidding factor is the water quality. And
that goes in 2 parts. One is having the proprer and
correct parameters the secound in maintaining very
good water quality which translates to low DOC's as
can be measured by our counductivty ( actually in the
change of coiunductivity over time due to pollutants)
Synergy is at work here and many factors all
contribute to success or failure but in my experience
moniter counductivity and you well on your way to
success. Folks many people have asked me and by
measuring counductivity I am not meaning to measure
your hardness but rather the change in counductivity
which is the measurement of the buildup of pollutants
( DOC's dissolved organic compounds) over time in a
sample of water.

No need to be lucky John if we know what we are up
against. We can be prepared and we can learn from our
failures and turn them into success. To this end there
are many ways to achieve this. Water changes, good
plant growth etc. Our fish come from very pure
rainforest streams rainfall is almost constant and the
water is "purified" it has very very low counductivity
and it stays very stable and constant over time. To me
our biggest problem is that our water is just far from
that if we measure counductivity we begin to see this
and we ask what is rasing our counductivity? I beleive
it to be an indication of not just DOC's accumulating
but also very high bacteria levels as well. The fish
eggs are just very sensative to this and wont hatch.
Truthfully we never get close to nature but our fish
spawn in spite of what we do not because. I hope this
helps.

Dave