Re: Dwarf Problems

[John McCrone]
> I didn't see any responses to your post. I suspect this is because this is
> very puzzling picture. Bolivian rams and Kribs I would consider pretty
> bullet proof. And if you keep discus successfully, you must have a fair
idea
> of what you are doing.
>
> One thought, do the fish that die all come from the same shop? I'm in the
UK
> too and I used to buy at a particular place. Then staff changed and every
> apisto pair I bought seemed to go black and die after a few days. Not
> through any obvious disease but simply as if shocked or gill damaged by
poor
> husbandry at the shop.

Thanks for the reply John,

 fish came from 2 main sources, allthough I did loose every appisto I bought
from one store, many of which to intrenal worms. From reading posts on
internal worms, they would appear to be at fault here I feel, as they
physical symptoms dont entirely match, and the diesae ran its course in
hours, and not days and weaks. The problem which you encountered does sound
a little similar, most of the fish were less than a month old ( from the
store as it were)

I have managed to keep and breed a number of the more common apistos (
perhaps 4 species) without much trouble over  the last 3 or 4 years, mainly
keeping them in my amazon Discus tanks, but appear now to have hit this
brick  wall. The only remaining stock I have now is one pair of a. agazzizi
(sp, applogies!), 2 blue rams, and one bolivian ram, all of hich appear to
be thriving.

Two suggestions I have had are that it could be toxin problems ( appears
unlikely?) and "sleepining sickness", what are anyone's thoughts on this?

I would love to get a  few pairs of really special appistos to stock the
tanks back up again, but dont feel I can at the moment, as I do not what to
see good fish simply turn belly up.

Thanks again

Chris

thought os this----- Original Message -----