Re: Rupunini Fry

Colin,

A. rupununi is one of the easier apistos to breed. They come from clear water
streams in the Guianas Highlands of Brazil/Guyana. Mine came from the upper
Rio Branco around Boa Vista. The streams where they live have slightly acid
(~6.5) and moderately hard (4º dGH / 2º dKH) water conditions. They can,
however, breed in water similar to that of A. cacatuoides. I breed mine in
straight dechlorinated tap water (slightly softer than listed above). The
male is highly polygamous and will bother lone females mercilessly. It is
best to keep 2 females in a suitable size tank with the male. Otherwise you
can do as I do: keep the male in a separate tank until the female is full of
eggs. Introduce the male and once they spawn, again remove the male. This is
a steindachneri-group species, and like A. steindachneri & A. hippolytae, can
have very large broods - 200 or more, so large tanks are best. They are a
very pretty fish. They remind be of the beautiful blue & gold "A. wickleri"
form of A. steindachneri (but without the caudal extensions) that we used to
have back in the 1980s.

I don't know why Linke & Staeck or Mayland & Bork don't discuss this fish in
their books. The fish was originally introduced into the hobby in the late
1970s as A. sp. Zweifleck/Two-patch. In the early 1980s some German aquarists
started calling A. sp. Zweifleck "A. ortmanni", which we now know was
incorrect. In 1985 Koslowski stated that Zweifleck was most probably the same
as A. rupununi. This assumption appears correct & still holds true today.

Mike Wise