Re: Rio Xingu

Rik,

It depends on which "A. sp. Rio Xingu" you are
looking for. At present I know
of 5 different species coming from the Rio Xingu.
I don't believe A. sp. Rio
Xingu (Chao 93-107) is in the hobby anymore. The
only photo that I know of
that's in an English language publication is in an
article by Jeff Cardwell
(Cichlid News, 4/94, p.8). It's also pictured in
Römer's Atlas as A. sp.
Chao. The most commonly offered species is A. sp.
Rio Xingu (Red-Lobes). I
don't recall any English language book that shows
this fish, but it's
pictured in Römer's Atlas as A. sp. Xingu. A. sp.
aff. pulchra (Xingu) or
Red-tail Rio Xingu is pictured in the ACA's
Buntbarsche Bulletin #188
(10/98), p. 12-15. A. sp. Vielfleck (Multi-spot)
is a pretty, recently introduced, species from the
lower Rio Xingu. I don't recall it being published
anywhere but in German magazines. The most recent
arrival is A. sp. Xingu (Parati). I know
of no published photos of this fish. Correct me if
I'm wrong.

Depending on where your Xingu apistos are
collected, dwarf cichlid contaminants are probably
A. agassizii & A. cf. pertensis/meinkeni [with
Xingu (Parati) & Vielfleck] from the mouth of the
Xingu. I know of no other dwarf cichlids collected
with the 3 species collected around & above
Altamira [Xingu (Chao), Xingu (Red-lobes), &
Red-tail Rio Xingu]. They are usually collected
along with a small Corydoras that looks like C.
habrosus.

Mike Wise