RE: Why we use oak leaves instead of maple leaves

>>>Could you send us pictures of your tanks with leaves in?

I don't have any tanks with leaves (yet).  In fact, I just sent an email o a friend of mine to ask him to gather a bag of oak leaves for me.  He has two huge oaks in his yard (Burr Oaks I believe).  If he can't do it, I should be able to gather some on ou next scout camping trip in two weeks.  I know there are oaks at the camp we are going to.

Afriend of mine uses the leaves to make a "tea" to hatch killifish eggs.  I've pasted his recipe below.

NORM'S NATURAL
(HATCHING SOLUTION)

INGREDIENTS: GALLON JAR
12 OAK LEAVES
SMALL FIST FULL OF PEAT MOSS
RAINWATER

Place dirt and leaves in gallon jar. Fill with rainwater. Let sit until water turns brown, the shade of coca cola. Use as needed to hatch eggs of Aphyosemion, Rivulus and any species that likes soft, acid water. Replace rainwater in gallon jug and use until solution loses its brown color. At this point, redo entire jug.
Benefits: This method eliminates the need for chemicals such as acriflavin or methylene blue. It adds tannic acid to the water which inhibits the growth of mold and bacteria. Also, the dark tint of the water cuts down on the amount of light reaching the eggs. If you think about it, there is no body of water that does not have leaves or mud on the bottom. This is a very natural way that produces large hatches.

Bill Vannerson
McHenry, IL
http://vannerson.home.att.net/