Weird worms

Hope someone can offer some guidance, here...

This morning I turned on the lights to my newly set-up 55 gallon planted tank. I detected 8 or 10 strange little white or near-white worms wriggling in the water column. They range from 3/8 to 5/8 inches (no, I will never convert to metrics!) and very slender. They wriggle like mad to gain an inch or so of elevation, then sink s-l-o-w-l-y toward the bottom, then begin the process again.

Here's the situation:
The tank has no fish yet. Low-tech set-up with no filtration and no heater (I'm planning on keeping dwarf sunfish in the tank, so no heater needed), lots of plants, Profile (Shultz Aquatic Garden Soil) substrate, one piece of driftwood which came from another of my tanks, and one good-sized rock. There are burgeoning populations of both pond snails and tiny daphnia(?) that probably rode in on the plants.

My question is, could the worms be dangerous to fish? I'm worried that they might be an anchorworm or some such that came in with the snails and are attempting to continue their life cycle. Their wriggling would certainly induce a fish to attempt to make a meal of them...then once inside, might they become parasites?

If they are parasites, could I simply wait a few weeks for the worms to starve before introducing fish, or would it be necessary to treat the tank?

I do have a cheap kid's microscope, so I could take a closer look at these critters if I knew what to look for, for purposes of identification.

Sorry to sound like such a newbie, but I'm really out of familiar territory here...

Thanks,

Scott