Re: Re: Peat Moss vs. Oak Leaves

Great data!  It looks like most of the effect occurs during the first 24hrs.  Did you boil the water in your tests as you describe below, or did you just let it soak at room temp?

I had wondered about the effect of peat on TH and CH (GH?).  Good to know that it affects alkalinity much more than hardness.  The reason I say that is because in planted tanks it is important to have Ca and Mg remain since the plants use those elements.  So, in that sense peat sounds like a better alternative than RO water since RO, ideally, removes everything and you have to add it back.  Or am I missing something???

Thanks,
Jody