Re: Peat Moss vs. Oak Leaves

From: Jody
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2001 2:10 PM
Subject: Peat Moss vs. Oak Leaves

> It looks like most of the effect occurs during the
> first 24hrs...

Indeed, leveling off at about 48 hours. It's important to remember that it
takes amounts peat in excess of what's considered "normal" to achieve it
that quickly, though.

> Did you boil the water in your tests as you describe
> below, or did you just let it soak at room temp?

The peat was sifted through a kitchen strainer to remove woody chunks,
measured and added to one- gallon jugs of room temperature water. The jugs
were shaken three times a day, trying for 8- hour   lapses.

> I had wondered about the effect of peat on TH and CH (GH?).

I used a Wardley's "Total Hardness" kit for the tests. It includes a test
specifically for the calcium component, assuming the rest to be chiefly
magnesium. I couldn't make the same assumption, but I _could_ put at least
the calcium test to use. Hence the unusual "CH" - lacking a more apt
abbreviation.

> ...peat sounds like a better alternative than RO water
> since RO, ideally, removes everything and you have to
> add it back.  Or am I missing something???

Depends on the real reason behind purifying the water. But for simply
increasing the acidity while effecting a minor adjustment in hardness, then
you are correct.

The humics in peat also provide another benefit over reconstituted RO/DI.
They buffer in a range that bicarbonates can't handle. Diligent water
changing regimens will keep the pH pretty steady. Across long- term periods
without changes, though, they will eventually lose out to the acids of
nitrification. At least at those pH ranges that particular activity is
somewhat prolonged, as it's not a very inviting environment for those
bacteria.

In the meantime, consider that at least there's a ready proton donor
available for the ammonia - ammonium conversion...

-Y-

David A. Youngker
nestor10@mindspring.com