Re: Peat Moss vs. Oak Leaves

The chemical value of peat (value for us aquarists) is that it removes the Ca and Mg ions by replacing them with Hydrogen ions. So it does both: removes hardness (by removing the metal ions) and increases acidity (by increasing the hydrogen ion count).

I looked at the charts on the previously given URL ( http://www.mindspring.com/~nestor10/trials/peat_trials.htm ). I see in them the correlation between the drop of pH and the drop of calcium: a fast drop in one correlates to a fast drop in the other, and a leveling out in one correlates to a leveling out of the other.

In the tests, calcium dropped by 50% and total hardness by 40%. I don't see this as "not too much." But I think that this comment was made because --despite an ample supply of peat-- the peat lost its effectiveness. Because hardness was not reduced to zero, the assumption was that hardness is not removed as effectively. I would point out that the pH, as well, failed to drop as far as it could. At some point, the effects of peat were arrested -- as if some equilibrium was reached. I assume that had it not been for this "arrest," hardness would continue to fall to zero and the pH would drop with it.

I have the results of another peat experiment where the equilibrium is reached at different readings (perhaps a different peat source, different starting water composition), but the timing is remarkably similar: When the peat supply is more than ample, the leveling-off occurs at 36 hours. In this other experiment, the hardness dropped from 11 to 2 (GH), the pH dropped from 7.2 to 6.0, and KH falls from 11 to 2. (Here the hardness was reduced by more than 80% instead of by 40%.)

My main point is that peat effects hardness and pH together. But a second point is that the effectiveness of peat seems to level out before it completely removes the metal ions with a hydrogen exchange, and that this leveling-out occurs at different levels (both pH and dH) for different aquarists.

This opens up two questions: [1] What causes this equilibrium so that the peat affect is "arrested"? [2] What affect does the starting composition of the water and of the peat have upon the leveling point of pH and of dH? The answers can come from further experimentation.

--Randy

http://characin.com

[Peat']s value lies
in the consumption of alkalinity and the release of humic acids. (The
humics, by the way, also provide a good measure of chelation for your
plants.) So the idea was to show that, even with an abundance of available
peat, not too much would happen to "hardness".