Re: Pronunciation

Interesting and helpful web page for Latin-challenged folks like me.  Unfortunately, it still leaves the questioned unanswered since it says the following:

     "A final vowel is generally long . . .
     This means that, technically, final "e" should be pronounced "ee" rather than being silent as it is
     in English. However, in my experience, it is generally left silent among American fishkeepers."
I guess it depends on whether you want to be 'technically' correct, or whether you want to fit-in with 'American fishkeepers.'  Technically then, cacatuoide is "ka-ka-too-OI-dee", but from the "however" statement, it seems American fishkeepers say "ka-ka-TOO-oid".

On a different note regarding that page, it is interesting that in one place it says,

     "y" = short or long "i." IT IS NOT PRONOUNCED "EE"

Then a few lines down it shows "corydoras = kor-ee-DOR-us".  Nonetheless, still a good reference page.  Thanks!

Well, I was just at the OCA and found that we all have our own idea of how to pronounce the names. I did meet a guy who had Latin in school as a kid and had no trouble with the pronunciation. I've had this link on my site for some time now that I found which if you spend sometime you could probably come up with the proper way to say the names. the link is http://geocities.com/~tmfrench/Latin.html. Columbus Area Fish Enthusiasts. My link is under my signature.