Re: Tiger Stripe?

Colin,

Your description could be one of several species/forms coming from Peru. The diagonal stripes (bars really) are found on several species of the Winkelfleck- and regani-complexes. The name A. sp. Peru tends to make me think that it is A. sp. Masken/Carapintada, which was listed as A. sp. Peru in SACII (p. 63, bottom row, left only). A better photo of this species, showing parts of the diagonal banding, can be seen in the same book as A. cruzi (p. 29, row 2, right). This species is considered a regani-complex fish, but the diagonal banding points to a close relationship to the Winkelfleck-complex, too. Your fish might be one of the Winkelfleck forms, too, A. sp. Tiger-stripes being one of them. This is a form that I feel is the same as A. sp. Winkelfleck, but Ingo Koslowski believes it is at least a geographic variant of Winkelfleck if not a separate form. Tiger-stripes & Winkelfleck are deeper
bodied forms than Masken, which make the dorsal fin look lower. Their caudal spot is smaller and spotting in the tail is not a distinct. Hope this helps.

Mike Wise