Re: ram fry, sigh

OK, let's try this again I took a DEEP breath and exhaled............ now
with a clearer mind and a calmer demeanor...........Hi all!

For starts guys, lets all agree that there is almost NEVER one way to treat
any certain fish......all I can give is what's worked for me....may not be
the best for all but it is what I do.

NO, ram questions are nifty because the fish is so nifty.  There is
something, I think, to small fish (for a species) give smaller eggs than
normal and larger fish (for the species) will give "regular" eggs for the
species.  Some rams do seem to have rather small eggs but you can usually
tell if it's gonna happen if the female is a small
one..........................no problem!  The following also works for other
really small fry than rams.  Like Ed said, if you have an infusoria
(paramecium) culture handy fine but it's only needed in rams for 1-2 days if
at all......then microworms.....then bbshrimp.  In the absence of an
infusoria culture I take a clump of java moss about 1/2 the size of your
hand and scrunch together on itself and then put it in the water with the
young that are 12 or so hours from swimming........food from the 'Gods' for
the first 24 hours and sometimes even longer...they can eat little critters
off the java moss (or similar plant) for quite some time.

.....with all of that said, mostly my rams get 1 day maybe 2 of microworms
and then they are off and running with bbshrimp........when my micro worm
cultures are down I'll go with the java and bb right off the bat and there
seems to be no real problem......the smaller of the fry will eat critters
off the java and some you can see their bellies are orange from the get go.
Don't feed too much bbshrimp on the first 2-3-4 days....their bellies are
small!

Mike

Mike Jacobs
Center for Advanced Technologies