Re: light and fry

Yvan,

I doubt that your lighting had anything to do with the loss of the fish. It's
much more likely that something poisoned the water. I've had very few problems
with apistos eating their fry because the lighting suddenly changed (actually
the lights turning on in a totally darkened room). The one exception for me has
been A. bitaeniata. With this species I always was more successful by adding a
4W 'night light' bulb above the tank at night for about the first 4 weeks. If
you feel the need for a light at night, I'd suggest a 15W appliance bulb
centrally located in a fish room if you have one. If you can't do this, but your
tanks are located closely together, you might try laying a string of uncolored
(white/clear) Christmas tree lights along the tops edges of your aquaria - like
moonlight in the tropics :-).

Mike Wise