Re: Wild Rams

 In
particular it's a waste of time & money to use
penicillin in most cases. Penicillin is a
gram-positive antibiotic and virtually no
bacterial fish disease is caused by gram-positive
bacteria.

Penicillin works on Gram-negatives too. But many bacteria are already resistant to it. It's a little worrisome too, to be dumping hundreds of gallons of antibiotic-ridden water down the drains. In most cases clean water is all a fish needs to cure itself. In extreme cases antibiotics are necessary. I isolated two different bacteria off of a betta that fin rot. Both bugs were resistant to several antibiotics even though I had never used those antibiotics in my fish room. Scary!
--

Brian Ahmer
ahmer.1@osu.edu