Re: Wild Rams

I whole-heartedly agree with Brian on antibiotic
usage. It shouldnot be allowed as far as I am
concerned. I would point out though that it is not
unusual that the two bugs you isolated were resistant
to several antibiotics. When you get an antibiotic
from a Dr (well this is what should happen anyhow), he
has usually ordered what is called a culture and
sensitivity. The process is that the specimen will be
innoculated onto several different media types and
grown out for a certain period. THen, a keying process
is used to id the bug. At that point it is innoculated
onto a media and discs of the common antibiotics are
added. THese discs reult in the media immediately
surrounding being laced with that antibiotic which
results in an area around the disc where no bacteria
grow or at least fewer. The zones are measured and the
med which results in the largest zone of inhibition
will be used if whatever med the doc gave you
initially is not doing the job. So, you can see, I
have done that before ;-) THe point I was going to
make is that it is not unusual that two different
bacteria would be resistant to a variety of meds since
each works differently to combat the bug.