Re: Another Fish I.D.

Colin,

A. sp. Peru, huh. What a terrible name! It's already been used for an urteagai-like form & a regani-complex form (Masken/Carapintada). I hope we can find another name for it.

Identifying apisto species by their females can be next to impossible. Males are much better subjects for this process. Still I don't understand why you don't think it might not be A. cacatuoides. Your female matches Koslowski's description of Group 11 females in his article: Beiträge zur Unterscheidung von Apistogramma-Weibchen (Contributions to the differentiation of Apistogramma females) in "Cichliden" The commemorative volume of the 25th anniversary of the German Cichlid Association, p.204-217. In it Koslowski writes (translation):

"Group 11:  These species have no caudal spot, a yellow base color, and a prominent lateral spot or lateral band. (A. agassizii, A. gephyra, A.sp. Rio Tefé, A. bitaeniata, A. elizabethae, A. paucisquamis, A. mendezi, A. gibbiceps, A. cacatuoides, A. juruensis, A. luelingi, A. norberti, A. staecki, A. trifasciata, and A. sp. Breitbinden)."

I know most cacatuoides females will move back and forth between band and spot, depending on mood. The last cacatuoides I kept (an Orange domestic variety) matched your description of the female while in brood dress (while tending eggs or fry). The only time she had a visible lateral band was when she was not breeding/brooding. Maybe you have a population with a similar color pattern. On the other hand, it might be A. sp. aff. juruensis (Schwarzkinn/Black-chin), the (relatively) common hobby form of A. juruensis (do the females have lots of black under the jaw & chin?), or ?.

A description/photograph of the males would be much more helpful.

Mike Wise