Re: Romer Atlas

Z Man,

I got my English edition last week and so far I've
noticed very few changes from the 1998 German
edition. He's changed some of the photos, added
pictures of A. sp. Brust-band/Breast-band
(mislabeled as Band Apisto) - aka A. sp.
Maulbrüter/ Mouthbrooder, & added an index
(incomplete, sad to say). Its bibliography hasn't
been updated either (sigh).

The ID key appears to be the same in both. In most
cases it works, but since there are so many
similar apisto species (Uwe lumps several
different 'forms' into some species that I
wouldn't.), and there is some variation within
certain species/forms, it doesn't always work. As
I recall, Uwe states something like this in the
German edition, so I assume it says the same thing
in the English edition. For someone who has
experience with such taxonomic keys it's pretty
straight forward, but for those not familiar with
such keys it can be difficult to use the first few
times they try it. If the key works for you, fine,
use it. If it doesn't, don't sweat it. It's still
an exceptional book, full of information that's
hard to find anywhere else, and well worth the $50
- $60 it sells for.

I'm going over the English Atlas right now and
plan to have a more extensive review in The
Apisto-gram - including a corrected photo index.

Mike Wise