Re: One more ? about my aggies

Tony,
  I believe Mike is more of an expert on the subject than I am. I am a fairly
new breeder and have had many spawns but, have also lost some fish too.

  Mike probably doesn't remember but, I use to bug him with questions in the
beginning including how do I get rid of this green water<G> Mike is a good
guy from what I can tell and much more learned on the subject.

  It's funny you mentioned about the tank. Seems my beautiful Flametail
spawned finally today after being here about a month. They were in a 20 long
with one other small double red female in the tank.

  I just so happen to get an order of Wild Cockatoos in today. I saw the
female Flametail out and looking yellow. Actually they don't seem to glow as
much as the regular female but, they look more yellow then usual with a dark
brown lateral stripe
.
  She seem to be out in front guarding the pot. I looked in and sure enough
the pot was full of eggs. But, where were the other fish.

   They were behind another pot beat up. The male Flametail is now missing
part of his beautiful caudal. He is still alive and I'm trying to help him
along but, this is what I was talking about. This isn't the first time this
has happened to me or anyone else.
  And yes there were places for them to hide.

  As far as RO/DI units go way back when I used the AquariumPham Tap Water
Purifier In Philly here where water TDS is about 250ppm it would make about
35 gallons of DI water per 15.00 cartridge. They give you stuff to add back
so you wouldn't want to drop them down too quick. At least I don't. If your
talking a 50% change in one water change for me that's a quick drop. Like I
said in my previous post. In my 20 long I'm starting around 100-150 TDS with
also using Kent 6.0 for the initial startup. I let the fish settle for a week
or two. Then I usually do a 25% change every couple days until I see the fish
looking like it's in the mood. Then I stop a bit and see what happens. If
nothing then I start dropping a little more. The whole time just checking
with TDS meter and not adding any types of buffer.

  Some will disagree with this but, the ultimate answer I've gotten is What
ever works for me doesn't mean it will work for you. I read some books I
listen to people and oh yes I do pray and love my fish very much. Live food
is very helpful too. I would say a must but, that too is just my opinion. See
I won't take responsibility for anything.<G> And yes I do talk too much....
                                                      Jerry...