Re: gold rams and white eggs

Richard,

White eggs can mean a couple of things. White and fuzzy eggs are typically
eggs that are fungusing because they are dead. If the rams are cleaning them,
the fuzzy appearance might not show, but they still won't hatch. This often
happens with young fish or 2 females spawning together. The eggs just don't
get fertilized. It might also have something to do with your water.
Personally, I'd lower the pH to around 6 - 6.5 and raise the temperature to at
least 83ºF (28ºC).

The other possibility is that they are fertile eggs. Fertile white eggs are
commonly seen in cichlids that are fed a lot of flake & pellet foods. If this
is the case, you may be running into that old Ram curse, where the parents
prefer to eat their eggs rather than rear their young. In this case you need
to go back and read some of the emails on the subject from the recent past.

Mike Wise
apistowise(at)bewellnet.com