Re: Agassizii breeding assistance needed

Well, Jerry, I don't know why my aggies were less
aggressive fish. All I know is
that most of my early spawns of apistos were in 10
gallon tanks and I had little
problem with aggression. Fontaine Weyman, who was
about the only source of
apistos back in the 70s bred his in 5 gallon tanks
that were virtually bare! Even
I have had apistos spawn in bare 5 gallon tanks,
but I don't recommend tanks that
small. It's possible that the way the tank is
decorated has something to do with how aggressive
the fish are. Out of sight, out of mind seems to
work well, but like any other undertaking it's
important to keep an eye on everything going on
and step in when necessary. All that being said,
most of my apistos are now in
species tanks of 15 or 20L gallons. For some of my
young or small species I still prefer my hampster
tanks 18x14x10"high (45x35x25cm high), ~11
gallons/40 L. These work for single pairs because
the females tend to claim a breeding territory of
about 12" (30 cm) in diameter. If I put the
breeding cave in the middle and stuff Java Moss
around the borders, the male seems to have a way
to move around the territory without passing
through it. I know these are small. That's why I
only use them for pairs and smaller species.

Mike Wise

Mike Wise