Re: mineral uptake

Zack,

You are probably right. As I said "little if any" minerals get through the
osmotic defenses of soft water fish. Graham Rowe (you Aussies know the
gentleman, I'm sure) told me about 20 years ago that he used crushed coral in
his trifasciata tank because so many fry would turn up as belly sliders or with
curved spines. It may have worked for trifasciata, which can handle higher
hardness values but I doubt it would encourage spawning in blackwater species.
Whether or not discus are different, I don't know. I understand that most wild
discus come from clearwater biotopes (slightly acid & very soft) and are as
adaptable as apistos to water conditions. In fact most domestic forms can even
handle moderately hard alkaline water. In harder water conditions the
concentration of minerals are higher (duh!) so the likelihood of minerals
passing the fish's osmotic barrier is better. The advantages for a discus (or
apisto) breeder in using harder water is probably more for acclimating the fish
for the average aquarium than adding any mineral content.

Mike Wise