Re: Peat vs. Sphagnum moss??/ Trying Some new Apistos now D.filamentosus

Jerry, from what i have read on the archives of this (quite extensive on the KRIB), boiling will give you an extract that you can use, sort of like peat in a bottle. One of the better methods I have heard is to use a large container possibly 55 gal if you can and have a large sack of peat (the wifes stockings would be ideal) and have an airstone and maybe a heater in there to keep the water. Take water from this as needed and replenish peat everyonce in while. I was just adding peat directly to my filters in a nylon mesh bag I got at at homebrew supply store, this works for me and keeps it simple.

Greg