Re: snacking viejetas

John,

Since apistos are primarily maternal caregivers, the male is not absolutely
necessary in a breeding tank after fertilizing the eggs. This is only true if
there are no other fish in the tank except the breeding pair, of course. I
rarely see problems with males in breeding tanks, however, as long as it is
large enough. If the female has to repeatedly drive the male away from her
brood territory, then it is best to remove the male.

As for feeding, feed the female while she is fanning the eggs. Once the fry are
freeswimming the female will live quite nicely on live baby brine shrimp used
to feed the fry. Food, especially live foods rarely encourage the female to eat
her fry. Generally it is just the opposite. Females often have such a strong
brood instinct that they will guard live foods from other fish.

If your viejita eggs disappear after 1 day, I think they are not fertile for
some reason. The female will know this after a day & eat them. Either your male
is "shooting blanks" or something about your water conditions are wrong. It
takes more than soft, acidic, water. It also needs low concentrations of
organics & possibly certain metals. Zinc in low concentrations, for example, is
known to prevent egg fertilization by milt in trout. If you are not doing this
now, try larger & more frequent water changes & see if this helps. Good luck.

Mike Wise