Re: Mike's Database Please!

>>>by Bill Vannerson 04/9/2002

Since you asked ...

I'd like to see 2 text files, either fixed length or comma separated format.

Table 1 would be the main table with five fields:

Genus - Species    (i.e., A. borellii)
Genus
Species
Group
Complex

Table 2 would be the locaiton table with three fields:
Genus
Species
Location                (like the killies)

I would then convert it into an Access table and from there, import it into my Palm Vx using HanDbase database application.  I did this with the Killifish Master File IV produced by Dr. Ken Lazara, which actually took some doing as I converted the web pages found on the Arizona Rivulin Keepers web site (http://ark.killi.net/).  However, it doesn't have location code data, which is published in Wild Collections of Killifish by Roger W. Langdon, so I'm missing that portion of the data.  I have written Roger about integrating his data into my database, but he has not responded yet.

Mike, I'd be happy to send you a sample copy of these files for you to see the structure (simple, really).  But I can't make it available to everyone as it's copyrighted material and I cannot distribute it without the author's permission.

Bill Vannerson
McHenry, IL
http://vannerson.home.att.net/