lock jaw in cichlids

I've seen this condition in Cyprichromis cichlids from Tanganyika.
It looks like a piece of cartilage 'locks' or becomes dislocated,
forcing the mouth open.

I've never saved a fish with this problem.
I've never been able to figure out why it happened either.

Dominic Stones
Richmond Hill Ontario
Canada

I didn't