Re: water changes

thanks a lot, that's some very useful info
Alex
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, April 27, 2002 9:32 PM
Subject: Re: water changes

Alex,
I do own some RO Right but, hardly ever use it. In the winter when the RO water is cold I will sometime add some hot tap water using a little decloarinatetor to take out chlorine and chlorimine which is what they put in the water where I live.

Actually most fish I don't throw right into strait RO water I would say in general the water would be around 100ppm TDS when I start. I give them a couple weeks to get to know where they are then I start doing water changes. Usually about 5 gallons a week on a 20 gallon tank.

Now different fish like say the D. Filamentosus are treated differently but, in general the SA dwarf pretty much in my tanks are treated the same. This is what works for me but, might be different from someone else's ideas. So the old disclaimer ad is, "Whatever works for you."

Sometimes I'll add bags of peat which I have previously zapped in the micro wave to make sure any bad things that could be in there are dead.
I use an organic peat from Canada which I buy from local lawn and garden center. Just make sure its just peat with no additives. This will soften and lower pH for those that need it. It's a learning experience and I'm still learning too. Good luck and most of all have fun!
                                                             JerryB
                                                     www.ApistoWorld.com
"Water changes are one of the most important things you can to do
                     make conditions right for spawning"