From: owner-apisto@admin.listbox.com
[mailto:owner-apisto@admin.listbox.com]On Behalf Of
mjacobs2@tampabay.rr.com
Sent: Thursday, May 09, 2002 2:30 AM
To: apisto@listbox.com
Subject: Re: a stupid question (tagert vs. dither)

..this business about dither fish....it is fun to watch the interaction of
females AND some males "work" the dithers....that's part of the dwarf
cichlid
syndrome......but I'l tell you what folks, some of the old standby dithers
are
really 'snotty' little buggers.......generally I agree with the fish that
Sal
mentioned......but listen to this......4-5 days ago I had a 33 gallon
"breeder"
tank with a lot of plants in it and a trio of "espi" dwarf
pencils.......Randy
Cary has a nifty article about them on his web site.......I dropped in the
tank
about 50-60 SMALL angels.......they were just finning out.....maybe 2-3
weeks
old......old enough not to worry about some dwarf pencils........I just
dropped
them in and went about my business for an hour or so and came back and saw
about 20 dead little angels.......my first thought was there was a serious
water problem until I saw one of the pencils come flying out from behind
some
plants and take a swipe at an angel.......the angel wasn't dead but
injured....and then the male pencil flew out of the same plant and finished
off
the little angle DOA....it just drifted to the bottom...they weren't eating
them, just killing them....unbelievable from a dwarf pencil!!!!!

It's a crazy hobby......these calm dwarf pencils went ballistic when the
angels
were put in there......now guys these were angels with fins started, they
were
the size of your little fingernail......not a 3 day old angel!!!

Mike