Re: List of ID corrections was Ap. jurua

Dave,

You bring up a good point. Species IDs are always biased by the identifier. This
is the old 'lumper vs. splitter' problem. Still, there are obvious errors in
every book. All it takes is new information. Any ID list that I make will have
my bias, of course. Right now I prefer to play it safe & split as much as
possible. As I've said before, if you split & keep 'forms' true, then you can
always cross them when you find that 2 forms are the same species. If you cross
2 forms and then discover that they are different species, there's a chance that
you will lose 1 or both pure species in the hobby.

So the question now is whether it is better to be a lumper or a splitter.
Ongoing DNA studies are pointing to the probability that there are more distinct
species than mere geographic populations of apistos. DNA studies have already
shown that the genetic difference between A. caetei from the type locality (Rio
Caeté) and A. cf. caetei (Guamá) from the Rio Guamá are greater than the
difference in mitochondria between all species of Mbuna in Lake Malawi - and
this includes species in different genera!  This is very disturbing to me
because these 2 forms are found in neighboring streams within a few miles of
each other. These 2 caetei-complex fish that are virtually identical when
preserved. The type form of A. caetei is somewhat more colorful than the Guamá
form when alive. Are these 2 forms distinct species? If we say they are the same
species, then do we lump all Malawi Mbuna into a single species?

Additional published information indicates that Apistogramma is one of the 5
fastest changing (dare I use the word evolving) genera of South American
cichlids. There is also geologic data out there that, if correct, would indicate
that much of this 'speciating' probably occurred over just the past 3000 years!
A very scary thought indeed.

Mike Wise