Re: Edit all replies please

I use different strategies for different situations.

When negotiating some deal with someone I always quote the whole exchange so you never have to look somewhere else to determine the context.

When posting to a list, I try to post something that anyone interested will want to read ALL OF. So there is no chaff, only wheat (I hope).

At 07:03 PM 5/21/02 -0700, you wrote:

On Wed, 22 May 2002, Frank O'Carroll wrote:

> We are not writing graffitti on the bathroom walls here. Keeping a complete
> train-of-consciousness record of a thread and repeating it over and over
> with every email is not good editing practice.

Here here!  Speaking from a historical perspective as the Krib archivist,
I've noticed the general "slacker" trend in e-mails (not just here, but on
many lists) to just leave everything in the original message below the
reply.  In the archive, it looks incredibly silly.  Used to be that I'd
archive entire threads of interesting exchange for the Krib... now I ask
myself "do I want to hand-edit all that chaff out just for the 2 lines of
information?"  Nope, not worth it.

Of course we've got both kinds here now... there's also a class of replies
that don't quote ANY of the original material, so you have NO idea what
they're saying.  Ah well.

  - Erik

--
Erik Olson
erik at thekrib dot com

------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is the apistogramma mailing list, apisto@listbox.com. For instructions on how to subscribe or unsubscribe or get help, email apisto-request@listbox.com. apisto-digest@listbox.com also available. Web archives at http://lists.thekrib.com/apisto

-- Dave Gomberg, San Francisco NE5EE gomberg at wcf dot com http://www.wcf.com/co2iron for low cost CO2 systems that work! -----------------------------------------------------------------