Re: Problem with Aggie and trifasciata

In a message dated 9/9/2002 4:02:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time, apistowise@fgn.net writes:

Out of curiosity, which book is this? Obviously
the author has never read the only detailed study
on family structure in Apistogramma published in a
scientific publication that I can recall right
now:

Burchard, J. E. Jr. 1965. Family structure in the
dwarf cichlid Apistogramma trifasciatum (Eigenmann
and Kennedy). Zeitschrift für Tierpsychologie. 22:
150-162.

OK Mike,
now you got me searching for where I read it. I thought it was Romer but, he mentioned the Burchard article that you did. Although Romers experience is different from mine as my one male just sat on top of the sponge filter with the other male and they both watched the female-without the spawn-go after the one with the spawn.

  I watched it for some time talking to the Dad of course. I was telling him-the fish-to get up and be a man and help your wife. Yeah I'm a nut. But, I just couldn't believe he actually sat with the other male they weren't fighting or anything they both just watched the one female going after the other female. And as I mentioned of course the girl in the brightest yellow coat was doing a great job at protecting. I love seeing those little fish with such a determination not to let anything hurt her babies.

  I put up a divider and Mom and the babies are doing well now the 3 on the other side are another story. Now there is a reason for the one male to compete with the other.<G> Glad it's all in a 30L plenty of room for all. If/when I do figure out where I read that I will let you know for sure. Nice hearing from you
                                                        JerryB