Re: Laetacara curviceps

Howie wrote:

> Hello Friends, I have a pair of curviceps who
> have successfully breed alone in a 10 gallon
> planted tank.  The fry are 3 days old and the
> parents diligently share the fry fanning
> responsibilities.(first spawn and I guess about
> 100 fry)

Howie,

Let me add to the previous reply.

> A few questions:

> 1 Should I leave the parents with the fry?

Yes, curviceps are usually excellent parents.
Sometimes they will eat their first 1 or 2 batches
of fry, however. The best you can do is not bother
them very much.

> 2 Is liquid food ok?

I assume you mean once the fry are freeswimming.
This wouldn't be my first choice. If you don't
want to hatch brine shrimp eggs, I would suggest
you use a combination of powdered fry food &
frozen baby brine shrimp. These worked for me on
many occasions.

> 3 Should I attempt a small water change?

Yes, especially if you are feeding a lot of
non-live foods. 10% water changes 3 or 4 times a
week will be better than a 25% change once a week.
For the first 2 weeks you might want to dip out
water from the top of the tank and slowly replace
water of the same value. After 2 weeks you can
start gravel cleaning again, being careful to stay
away from the fry. I will say that it will be hard
to keep a 10 gallon tank healty with 100 fry. You
might want to split up the fry after a few weeks
to spread them out.

> 4 When should the fry be free swimming?

Depends on the temperature. Typically the eggs
hatch in 3 days and take another 5 days before
they are freeswimming. Don't feed until they start
hopping around.

> 5 Any suggestion on care?

Patience, water changes, & careful feeding is
about all you need for curviceps. If the first
batch doesn't survive don't be discouraged;
they'll breed again. Practice makes perfect.

Mike Wise