Re: PH crashing Up?

Teresa,

Your local utility company should be able to tell you the
general source of the alkalinity in your water.

The utility company in my city adds a lot of CO2 (for what
purpose I don't know), and the tap water initially come out
with a relatively low pH (7.0 to 7.2) despite the relatively
high alkalinity of my tap water.  The pH of my tap water
goes up after a few hours to 7.8 to 8.0 just by sitting in a
bucket (when a lot of CO2 finally dissipates into the
atmosphere.)  Fish hobbyists around here bitterly complain
about this pH swing (I suspect they tend to overcompensate
with chemicals), although my aquatic plants just love it.
My fish seems oblivious to the initial pH swing.

Additionally the utility company here changes the water
source twice a year (to compensate the surge in the water
usage in the summer - they call it rerouting) and my water
in winter not only becomes a liquid rock but also contains a
lot of nitrate and phosphate (plus more.)  If your fish are
laying eggs but the eggs are not developing, I wonder if
there might be a trace of copper in your water.  Angelfish
breeders complain that the copper content as low as 0.5 ppm
(well below EPA requirement or so I was told) kills
angelfish eggs.  Again, the utility company can tell you
about the copper content of your water as well.

Tomoko