Re: Apistograma Cacatuiodes

Colleen,

A. sp. Inca looks like A. nijsseni with an expanded dorsal fin, like A. sp. Breitbinden/Broad-band. A 3X cacatuoides is a standard yellow A. cacatuoides with large amounts of red on the dorsal, caudal, & anal fins. Rayon Vert Aqua has good photos of both species on its site, or look through a search engine for the 2 names.

As for you hard water, the KH can be reduced by boiling the water, letting it cool slightly, & siphoning off the top 1/3 of the water. The boiling drives off gasses including CO2 & causes the CO3 to precipitate out & concentrate in the bottom of the pan. This is an old, old, method & not very useful for quantities of water more than 5 gallons/20 liters at a time. You
can also dilute your tap water with distilled (expensive) or rainwater (irregular). Neither are ideal options.

Probably the best method to slightly soften the water is to run the water through sphagnum peat. It will lower the KH more than the GH. Never use the standard aquarium water softening pillows. These just substitute chloride ions for the other ions. This increases your conductivity - something apistos don't like.

There are several apistos that will breed in your water as it is. A. cacatuoides is one. Unfortunately A. sp. Inca does not. Others I'd suggest are A. sp. Rotpunkt, A. borellii, A. macmasteri, A. viejita forms, A. eunotus forms, & A caetei forms. Experienced breeders can even get others to breed in such water, but the number of fry are usually low.

Mike Wise